Saturday, May 24, 2008

When we decided to get this computer I didn't realize how many output devices are part of the package. The computer has a web cam and speaker. We can take a picture off of our web cam and use it for our screen saver. I'm very happy with the new computer.


All of the information that we are consuming is a little overwhelming. I have not read this much since my senior year in college. I should have expected as much. After reading the material that was assigned, I see that the library community is going through a change or should I say that libraries are constantly evolving.


I didn't think of library science as being so thought provoking. I thought is was straight forward. I think I maybe a little naive. When I began my job in the library I thought I was part of a business. The consumer was the commodity that we strive to attain. I haven't thought beyond getting the patron in our doors but now I see that information age is changing the dynamics of library functions and what people want from libraries. We have to find new ways to entice patrons. We want them to use as a resource but libraries are now in competition. Books and other information material can be bought cheaply and obtained within a matter of days. We compete with coffee house and their Wi-Fi accessibility, home computers, and the portable computers. Libraries are seeking new and a diverse place in this technology age. We seek to find a balance with the old and the new. I hope we can make the rope into a plank so the balance won't be so black and white for our future success.

No comments: